Thursday, December 2, 2010

While I was waiting...

The knitting of my niece's Christmas stocking was to commence. You knew this. But first I had to complete a top secret mission--The Beastie's Christmas present (we're going handmade this year!)--which I can't tell you about until I give it to her. So I finally finished that and went to collect all my things to begin the knitting.

....and discovered that in all my years of knitting, apparently I'd never tried to knit with size 8 needles. Because I definitely only had one of them. FAIL.

Normally this wouldn't be a huge problem. I would go out over lunch one day and buy a new knitting needle. But the epic saga of Mr. Joanna's POS car and its ensuing replacement (which is finally over) and a fender bender on our other car in the meantime (which means its being fixed now that we have a second car) has somewhat stifled my daytime mobility. And then it's dinner time, then bath/bed time for the kiddo, and then Hobby Lobby is closed. No knitting needle purchased. Again, FAIL.

I think my husband felt sorry for me, actually. So he sucked it up and took my one size 8 needle to work with him one day, went to a knitting store, and bought me a new pair. He said he was the only male present and the only person not carrying an AARP card. Ladies, you know this situation. You've been in the craft store when the disoriented, uncomfortable husband walks in, hoping to navigate things by himself but soon realizing he's in over his head. You know what that looks like. Knowing this just makes me love him more.

Anyway, the point of all of this is that I couldn't knit the stocking. So I started a scrapbooking project instead. I started with Sketch Inspiration #152 and turned it into a 2-page layout. It had been a while since I'd done a 2-pager. It surprised me how quickly two pages were finished when they were made together. These pictures are from 2006--they'd been waiting a loooong time to find the right layout and paper. I need to go back this summer. It's been way, way too long since I went back to my native West Virginia. (sorry the right side of this got cut off--it happened during photo editing)


I know I sound like one constant ad for Lucky Girl crafts, but I can't help it. Between the fab kits and all the sketches out there, scrapping is so much better than it used to be. All of the papers and rub-ons and the blue ribbon are from various Lucky Girl kits. The rest is just stuff I had on hand.

Supplies used:
EK border punch
brown pigment ink pen
various adhesives
Scotch brand ribbon adhesive
Me & My Big Ideas~Soft Spoken, Magnificent Mountains
SEI~Granny's Kitchen rub-ons (Lucky Girl November kit)
Sassafras~indie girl, headphones on (Lucky Girl August kit)
Echo Park~A walk in the park (Lucky Girl August kit)
the girls' paperie~paper girl die cut (Lucky Girl August kit)
brown textured cardstock (Lucky Girl August kit)
ivory textured cardstock (Lucky Girl July kit, I think)
blue ribbon~Lucky Girl July kit
various brads, jewels, ivory ribbon, and metal frame that I had on hand. Probably all from The Paper Studio
Making Memories~Slice + Noteworthy and Basics 3 design cards


No comments:

Post a Comment