Friday, January 14, 2011

Allerton 2006

Today's layout excites me for a few reasons. It's one of those layouts that was clear in my mind but involved some things I'd never actually seen or tried before.

  • I significantly altered a sketch while staying true to its defining characteristics and spirit. This is based on Sketch Inspiration sketch #202. The sketch is a one-page, single photo sketch. I turned it into a two-page, multi-photo layout. But I think it's clearly recognizable as the original sketch. 



  • I used pink, and a lot of it. Now, I know I've had a few pink-themed pages recently, but they are probably the first pink pages I've made....ever. This is all thanks to the January Lucky Girls kit. And, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've learned that pink can be tamed. It can be lovely.
  • I used an acetate sheet. I actually Googled them before I started because I didn't know how to adhere them. Turns out that you adhere them by adhesive hidden under an embellishment, or via the embellishment itself, like brads, eyelets, etc. In the picture below you can see it pretty well. I love how it instantly dresses up an otherwise bland piece of paper without changing the color scheme. 



  • I fussy cut the embellishments out of a piece of (beautiful) patterned paper. You can see those better in the picture of the right half of the layout. In the days before my Slice, I cut title letters out by hand. It took hours sometimes and left callouses. It had been so long since I'd done anything like that, that I'd actually started to think that maybe it wasn't so bad after all. No no, it really isn't fun. Stick with your die cutting machine where you can. 

I had fun with this layout. I'm looking forward to trying yet more new products this year and expanding what I know how to do. 

Supplies used
from the January LGC kit:
American Crafts~Dear Lizzy, Enchanted, Graceful Swan (both sides)
Making Memories~Slice specialty paper, acetate pink border
Glitz~Hoople, Pipework 

From the August LGC kit:
Sassafras~Indie Journal Tags
metallic twine
"reasons why I love you" tag (forgot to write down the manufacturer before I glued it down)

Other:
American Crafts~Bumble thickers, black (also purchased through LGC, as an add-on I think)
tan cardstock that I had on hand

No comments:

Post a Comment