Saturday, January 8, 2011

MK in Biloxi

In my quest to finish scrapbooking 2006 and 2007, one of the largest projects is the second mission trip I took to Biloxi, Mississippi in 2006 with our church to do Katrina clean-up work. On this second trip, my husband and our parents came along too. It made for one of the most memorable and meaningful Thanksgivings of my life. 

Looking through current sketches and the supplies I have on-hand, I decided to finally start scrapping this trip using the Lucky Girl Crafts November kit (yes, I know I sound like a constant LGC ad, and I'm not on the DT or anything, I just love the kits!). I based this page on Sketchy Thursdays 1.6.11 challenge. I picked these papers specifically because pink reminds me of my MIL (featured on this page). She looks good in pink; she decorates in pink. And I'm told she once had striped wallpaper. It seemed like a good fit. :)


I love that the pictures are framed in a kind of wild apple green, and you hardly even notice it. Left to their own devices, both the apple green and the striped papers could overpower just about anything. But paired with appropriate other things (which is why kits are awesome), they fit right in.

I have to admit, I feel like I'm cheating! Honestly, by combining kits and sketches, I am plowing through pages and creating things that look better (for me--I'm no rock star scrapper!) than the pages I made when I either a) came up with the page arrangement myself, or b) picked out all of my own supplies. For a busy girl like me (I love to be busy--it's largely self-imposed), this is definitely the way to go. I'm having so much fun!



Supplies used:
Everything but the embroidery thread is from the November kit. In no particular order,
s.e.i.~textured cardstock (green and brown)
BoBunny~Back to Basics, Olivia Stripe (the stripes are the backside of the green/brown vine/floral paper)
BoBunny~Olivia chipboard
s.e.i.~aunt gerti's garden alphas
s.e.i.~chick-a-dee puff alphabet
BoBunny~Noteworthy journaling cards, Olivia
embroidery thread that I've literally had since grade school

4 comments:

  1. Lovely page!
    Thanks so much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an AWESOME thing to document!! LOVEEEEEEEEEE this!! Thanks soooooooooooooooo much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, I love those letter stickers--have 'em too! Thanks for joining the fun at Sketchy Thursdays this week!!

    ReplyDelete